Queenstown is a scenic town in the South Island of New Zealand. It is one of the most beautiful regions of Otago and offers year round attractions. The town sits on the edge of Lake Wakatipu and is surrounded by the Southern Alps. The most remarkable sight is the Remarkables, which is a saw-toothed range of mountains on the opposite side of the lake from the town.
Many thanks to http://www.cardrona.com/
Queenstown lies at the outlet to Lake Wakatipu, one of New Zealand's Southern Lakes. It caters for tourists on a wide range of budgets, from backpackers to luxury tourists.
In 1947, New Zealand's first commercial skifield Coronet Peak opened and since then the town has grown into a world class tourist resort. There are now 4 commercial skifields within easy driving of Queenstown.
* Touring - the scenery surrounding Queenstown makes for excellent touring, with lakes, mountains and bush around vineyards and farmland.
* skiing & snowboarding - 4 world class ski fields.
* bungy-jumping - the first commercial bungy jump was established on the Kawarau bridge just outside Queenstown.
* jet boats - exciting jetboat rides have been operating near Queenstown for 50 years. The Shotover Jet is billed as "The World's Most Exciting Jetboat Ride". The jet boats carry passengers at high speeds over shallow waters performing stunts like 360 degree pirouettes in the water.
* parapenting - launching yourself off a hill with a parachute to ride the "thermals".
* white water rafting.
* scenic flights - the helicopter and light aircraft flights to Milford Sound and Fiordland are rated amongst the best in the world.
* wine tasting. The southernmost vineyards in the world are close to Queenstown.
* cycling - hire a bike for the day and use your legs.
* fishing - lake wakatipu is known for the trout.
More distant tourist destinations such as Te Anau and Milford Sound are a day trip away, with many tour operators providing bus tours and flights.